The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) provides specific supplemental foods for good health and nutrition during critical times of growth and development. Program participation is based on income, child's age, and health risk. Notably, you do not need to have legal custody of your grandchild to receive WIC, but you will have to prove that your grandchild lives with you. WIC makes it easier to provide nutritious food for children under the age of 5. 

WIC Provides:

  • A monthly food supply of nutritious food

  • Nutrition education and services

  • Breastfeeding promotion and education

  • Access to maternal, prenatal and pediatric health-care services

How do I apply?

In person: Visit local Department for Community Based Services (DCBS) Office. Refer to the resources page for contact information. 

By mail: Mail in application to the state or local Department for Community Based Services Office (DCBS). Refer to the resources page for contact information. 

By phone: Call 1 (800) 462- 6122

Online: http://chfs.ky.gov/dph/mch/ns/wic.htm

Following information is needed:

  • Proof of identity (ex. current state driver's license; school photo ID; ID issued by state, federal, or local government with photo, school record, or medical record)

  • Proof of who lives in your home (such as a lease or written statement)

  • Proof that you live in Kentucky

  • Proof of child care costs (ex. receipts, statements, etc.)

  • Proof of income (ex. pay stubs or a letter from employer stating the applicant's wages)