To claim your grandchild as a dependent on your income tax returns:

  • the child can only be claimed by the grandparents or parent, not both. Two taxpayers cannot claim the same child.

  • The child must be younger than 19 years old. However, if the child is a full-time college student, the child can be claimed until 24 years old. If the child has a disability, there is no age limit for being claimed. If the child earns money themselves, to be claimed as a dependent, their income cannot be used to support more than half their needs. 

  • The grandchild must live with you for more than six months out of the tax year. 

  • Your income, as the grandparent, must be greater than the income of your grandchild's parent's to claim them as a dependent. 

  • NOTE: the grandchild should not be listed as your own child, but as a dependent that you support. This will give you the option to indicate your relationship as a grandparent and your support for the grandchild. 

For more information, contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) at 1 (800) 829-1040 or call the Kentucky Department of Revenue at (502) 564- 4581 or visit the website at